Monday, October 01, 2007

Dove Onslaught


This one hits home. I have two daughters. They are strikingly beautiful, which I take no credit for, since they were adopted. Princess is ten, but could pass for fifteen if you didn’t know how short she is. She wears a size eight pants, but must wear a belt or have her waist taken in. And she thinks she is fat because she is not as skinny as her little sister (who would look anorexic if she were white). If the prettiest girl in the school thinks she is fat, what chance do any of our kids have in this culture?

4 Comments:

Blogger fineartist said...

Powerful film.

I love the beauty has no age limit film too!

2:33 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Two weeks ago, my little grand daughter told me she is fat. She's six. There isn't an ounce of fat on the kid. It's frightening.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

What an amazing film! My daughter and I were just talking about this stuff. My granddaughter who is only 7 years old asked me the other day if the outfit she had on made her look too fat. The girl is like a feather and if anything, she's much thinner than other kids. When I asked her where she got that idea, she said it was from a show she was watching on the Disney channel. It was a show about a teenage "rockstar". She's not allowed to watch Disney anymore unless it has cartoon animals in it.

(BTW, I found your blog from an answer to a comment I made on Morning Martini...glad I looked you up, what little I've seen, I really like your blog!-I'll be around more often.)

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I know. My daughter, at 7, is already coming home from school with some frightening ideas in her head regarding her appearance. I think consistency at home is the only hope...

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home