Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Shopping Online


The writers on one of my other blogs were discussing doing a group podcast, so I mentioned that I didn’t have a USB microphone headset. Since I don’t have a Radio Shack in my town, the webmaster suggested I order one online. OK. This was Friday evening. I went to the Radio Shack site and placed my order, paying extra for two-day delivery. I figured it would be shipped Saturday, which means I would received my headset on Monday.

Ooops. Monday was New year’s Day. No mail service. So I’ll get it on Tuesday. Paying for two-day shipping and getting it in three days is actually normal procedure with most orders.

But then I hear that Tuesday was a federal day of mourning for President Ford. No mail service. So I’ll get my headset on Wednesday. I’ll look for it. Four days for two-day shipping.

Then last night (Tuesday night) about 11PM, I received a notice that my headset had been shipped! What?? So I went to the website and read the fine print on the shipping policy. Radio Shack’s online store is only open 8AM to 5PM Monday through Friday! They didn’t even know I’d placed an order til Tuesday! Yeah, they all go home at 5PM, but somehow I didn’t get an email notification til 11PM. Sometimes I think businesses do that just so I can’t call and complain.

So as it stands now, the earliest I will receive my order will be Thursday. Six days for two-day shipping. Somehow, that extra ten bucks seems like a lot of money to pay to get a $15 item. If I had known, I’d have just jumped in the car on Saturday and drove an hour or so to find a Radio Shack thats OPEN on Saturday.

You know what? I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t arrive til Friday. Or Saturday. Not surprised, but not happy, either.

I’m an idiot.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

i love the artwork/slogan.
i have been discovering similar joys to do with the u.s.p.s.
your tax dollars at work.
right?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hardly an idiot. Not even close. Same thing happened to me over a poster-sized periodic table of the elements I ordered & "overnighted" for Son inlaw. "Overnight" is a very loose term that means you'll pay twice the cost of the item to get it there by the 23rd, and it STILL won't be there by Christmas. By the time he received it, we were all so OVER Christmas the last thing we wanted was another gift.

We pretty much just wanted to can all government and private enterprise delivery systems on the planet.

My brother inlaw is a FedEx driver. You should hear what THEY have to say about US! Ha!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Its Thursday, and the headset has arrived! At least the USPS kept their end of the deal. If the podcast ever becomes a reality, I'll let y'all know.

5:16 AM  
Blogger fineartist said...

You are NOT an idot, and this piece was HI larious. I feel your pain, I still haven’t gotten the kids clothes I ordered on the 18th of December from old navy sucks intestines and toe nails…

You cracked me up, thanks, I needed that. Xx, Lori

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to mail a textbook that I sold and ran into the same problem; but I was warned so I passed it on to the buyer and luckily, he was OK with it. Not much anyone can do when there's no mail service.

I'm so glad you got the headset! Woohoo!

5:38 PM  
Blogger beckyboop said...

USPS...I live in a small town. When you live in a small town, regardless of the holidays you add at least an extra two days to your expected delivery date.

You're no idiot. USPS sucks. You are just another victim.

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home