Saturday, November 25, 2006

Prophecy

I bet that in less than 20 years the next generation, our current pre-schoolers, will be openly resentful and disgusted towards us for global warming. I reckon that this will focus on ostentatious displays of carbon emissions and general power gluttony.

Christmas trees and exterior lights being a prime example.

After looking at a 'festive' photo on another blog today; after trying to imagine how many small towns there are in the Western World, how many High Streets, how many malls, how many light bulbs 'up for Christmas' already; I find I plan to be a subversive granny.

Once the kids have flown the nest and I am free to contemplate a jail sentence, I will be sorely tried to avoid slashing the tyres of 4x4s and gas guzzlers used in town 'for show'. There are groups doing that in other countries already, and I wouldn't be starting anything new. So what about Christmas tree toppling?

Christmas Trees are entirely pagan, which may suit some in the pro-consumerism, anti-Christian mood of this decade, (who I am sure will turn a blind eye to the concept of Paganism being a religion in its own right.)

However, just as the image of Jesus Christ the little brown Jewish/Egyptian baby has been bastardised into Johnny Blonde in fake snow (Hitler would be so proud); so the sacred evergreen tree, the symbol in our snowbound past that life continues, has been chopped off at the roots and bedecked in trashy sparkles.

Never mind the title here - those are two examples of what I call profane behaviour.

Tags: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Abso-fuckin'-lutely! I do not want to stand a tree in the corner of y room covered in garish lights, tacky spakles and choclate santas! I would far rather leave it to grow undisturbed thank you very much!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Can't be bothered with all the trashy decorations - some kind of pagan ceremony sounds like a much better idea.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Humbug

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand excessive fairy lights at Christmas. Especially the brightly coloured ones that people put on the fronts of their houses! Yuck!

I'm also tempted to slash the tyres of a 4x4!

2:57 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

I wanted to dig up a tree this year, use it and then put it back in the earth to grow some more, but the man came home hauling a tree that he bought from the grocery story, so we decked it out.

I used lights, small little lights but lots of 'em. Sorry Cheryl, but you know I love you anyway, you still love me?

I know you do.

Thankfully I never do house lights, nope never, I'm too cheap.

Oh man am I feeling ashamed, I drive a four by four chevy pickup, so I can haul my murals and mosaics around.

I'd like to find an economical truck but can't afford to right now, as my big old gas hog is paid for. Maybe in the future I'll be able to buy an s-10, that would be really groovy.

I justify my driving a four by four because I only drive two miles to work....I know I suck. xx, Lori

1:36 AM  
Blogger beckyboop said...

My husband drives a truck for work purposes and Lori, so do you. This is different from what was mentioned. It's all those SUVs I hate; totally unnessary! I personnaly have a fake tree. Lori, you do as well. This is the tree you normally use.

I love lights on my tree. They are beautiful. I find the beauty of the tree comforting because of all the memories of Christmas past.

Would it really help the environment if I removed the lights on my tree?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Nooo!
I do mean shiny designer 4 wheel drives that run the kids 200 yards to school and the lady to her nail appointment.

I also mean the huge, years grown trees that are unceremoniously massacred and shipped for town centre displays - the ones that carry more lights than an air force landing strip.

:-)

7:26 PM  
Blogger fineartist said...

Oh Beck, that tree that I've been using was given to me by Rachel's ex poop head, it was time for a change since Mike said he wouldn't look at ex poop head's old cast off tree another year without retching, and we can't have that because we all know who would be expected to clean that up.

And I found a few mouse carcasses mixed in with that tree anyway and the stench, oh man, oh man, it was enough to gag a maggot, pee shoo. That tree is history.

I've always felt guilty about my truck. Always, but apparently not enough to buy something smaller.

Cheryl please do NOT think you offended me, I'm pretty thick skinned and I know you weren't pointing at me, but me being the guilty old hound dog that I can be, well, it just brought things to the surface in me that I've always contemplated, and felt were a little hard to justify.

One grumpy guilty old bitch here signing out, heeeeeeeeeee.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home