Wednesday, November 29, 2006

where the heart is

I have a personal rant, if I may?

When we lived in The Town From Which We Have Recently Moved, we had what I would describe as quite a close-knit circle of friends.

Since we have moved to The Village In The Country, they have been conspicuous by their absence.

Don't get me wrong, I know that everyone has busy lives, things to do, places to go, family. But a quick text to ask how we were getting on now and then wouldn't kill, would it? Or an email? Or even a response to my own emails. Or a comment on my blog - I know some of them read it. I'm not expecting them to make the hour-each-way journey to visit.

Just to keep in touch now and again. They are people my OH was AT SCHOOL WITH for goodness sake. He sees them as his best friends. Or he did.

Other people have managed it - people we see pretty irregularly.

I suppose you never know how good friends are until you are both in a situation where reality bites.

But I am REALLY grumpy about this, less on my own behalf than his.

That is all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I so, so want to rail against these people, but I dare not for fear of calling them evil hellspawn and then having them come up with kind and genuine good excuses some time next week.

For now however I am 'humphing' alongside you. Bad form.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Yes, well that's why I've been biting my tongue for the last six weeks or so and why I'm gritting my teeth and going along in a couple of weeks to The Special Christmas Do that 'we' have every year and trying not to spit bile over them all. I'll probably find out that they've all suffered terrible bereavments or something and then feel a real cow :(.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Au contraire; I think you're being much to easy on the folks who drop us like a hot potato simply because we move a little off the beaten path. Rest assured, it's a problem of epidemic proportions, and it truly chaps my ass.

I had occasion to corner one of these apparently lazy friends last week, during the dessert course of our Thanksgiving meal. I said to her, "Well, well. You look marvelous, Stacie, really you do! But I can't help noticing that while you couldn't be troubled to come to my Christmas party three years ago, here you are at Anne's for a slice of my home made pumpkin pie, and Anne lives even deeper into the county than I do, so the next time I send you an invitation, I'll expect you to arrive with bells on."

She said, "I know; I was so bad and I'm so sorry, and it will never happen again!"

Turns out her hubby's turned into a real stick-in-the-mud, and she's just recently decided that she'd rather socialize without him than lose all of her friends.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

This happens every time I move, or change jobs. But I'm afraid I may be just as guilty as the next person...

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home